My Faith Asks Me to Serve Everyone, Including People Who Disagree With Me

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. My faith is a big part of my life, and I'm not going to hide that while I run for office.

I try to pray for about 20 minutes a day, outside. I read the Bible. Faith is part of how I make decisions, how I try to treat people, and how I keep going when things get hard.

But I want to be very clear about what my faith means for the job I'm asking for.

A county office serves everybody

I'm running for Deschutes County Clerk. The Clerk's Office runs elections. It records property documents. It issues marriage licenses and processes passport applications. It keeps records and archives, and it supports the board that hears property value appeals.

Every one of those services is for every resident. Not just people who go to my church. Not just people who vote the way I do. Not just people who like me.

My candidate statement commits to nonpartisan service and clear, responsive communication with all residents. I mean that. Nobody should have to share my beliefs to be treated with respect at the Clerk's counter.

Where I learned it

I didn't learn this from a book. I learned it at work.

When I managed Bridge Meadows Redmond, the community brought together older adults and families. People were at very different stages of life, with different needs and different backgrounds. My job was to keep the property running: maintenance and repairs, moving new residents in, hosting weekly community events, and helping people find local programs that could help them pay rent. I believe that work helped families there feel safe again.

None of that depended on whether a resident agreed with me about anything. A leaking pipe doesn't care about your politics. Neither does a family trying to make rent.

When I led a 15-person sales team, I saw the same thing from a different side. People are different. Some worked better with different teammates, and part of my job was noticing that and changing things so everyone had a fair shot.

What faith actually asks of me

To me, following Jesus means humility and service. It means treating the person in front of me as someone who matters, because they do.

It doesn't mean using a public office to push my beliefs on anyone. It means doing the job well and fairly for every single person who walks in.

In a Clerk's Office, that looks like ordinary things done right:

  • Answering every question patiently, no matter who's asking.
  • Counting every eligible vote accurately and openly.
  • Keeping records correct, so families can trust them.
  • Explaining processes in plain language, so nobody feels lost.

Why I'm saying this out loud

Some people hear "Christian candidate" and worry they'll be treated differently. I understand that, and I'd rather address it directly than leave it hanging.

My faith makes me more committed to serving everyone, not less. If you disagree with me about religion or politics, you'll still get the same respect, the same answers and the same care from my office as anyone else.

That's not a slogan. It's what I believe I'm called to do.

The general election is November 3, 2026.

— Jon Curtis

Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Commercial Lending Taught Me About Serving the Public

Bend Ran License-Plate Cameras for Six Months Before Residents Got a Say

Nine Kids, One Family