From Trainee to Trainer

Some of the most important moments in my working life were the ones when I was the beginner, and later the ones when I got to help a beginner.

Being the one who needed training

After a hard stretch at 19, I went to Job Corps to train as a wildland firefighter. I didn't arrive knowing the work. I had to learn it: the physical preparation, how a crew works together and how to follow a chain of responsibility.

I worked seasonally for the Forest Service from February 2019 through August 2021.

Becoming the one who helps others get ready

By my last season, I was helping lead physical training and hikes on Engine 335, under our engine captain. The person who had shown up needing training was now helping the crew get ready for the work.

That shift meant a lot to me. It showed me that people who were once beginners often make the best teachers, because they remember what it was like not to know.

Doing it again in a completely different field

Years later, I led a 15-person sales team at Amtech in Bend. Some of the people I hired had never done sales before. I taught them the whole process from the start, paid attention to which teammates worked well together, and then gave them room to work on their own once they had it down.

Firefighting and sales have nothing in common on the surface. But the job of a leader was the same: help people get ready, then trust them.

What this means for the Clerk's Office

The Deschutes County Clerk's Office depends on its staff, and it serves residents who are often doing something for the first time, like recording a property document, getting a marriage license or voting in a new county.

As Clerk, I'd bring the same approach:

  • Train people well. Staff who know the process can explain it clearly.
  • Remember what it's like to be new. Most residents aren't experts, and they shouldn't have to be.
  • Trust the team. Good people do their best work when they're prepared and trusted.

My priorities are secure and transparent elections, easier digital access to public records and licensing, and clear, responsive communication with every resident.

The general election is November 3, 2026. I'd be honored to have your vote.

— Jon Curtis

Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine Kids, One Family

Teaching People Who Had Never Sold Anything

I'm Jonathan Curtis. Here's Who I Am, in My Own Words.