You Shouldn't Have to Take Time Off Work to Get a Public Record
Friends and neighbors,
This week I want to talk about one of my three priorities for Deschutes County Clerk: easier digital access to public records and licensing.
It's not the most exciting topic in this race. But it affects more people than almost anything else the office does.
What the Clerk's Office actually handles
Most people think of the Clerk as "the elections office." Elections are a big part of it, but the office also:
- Records real-property documents (the paperwork behind buying and owning a home)
- Keeps county records and archives
- Issues marriage licenses
- Processes passport applications
- Supports the Property Value Appeals Board
Each of those touches a real moment in someone's life. Buying a house. Getting married. Planning a trip. Disputing a property value.
Why digital access matters
A lot of working people in Central Oregon can't easily get to a county office during business hours. They're at a job site, on a shift or taking care of kids. If the only easy way to get a record or start a license is to show up in person, the system works best for people with flexible schedules and works worst for everyone else.
I've spent most of my working life around people who don't have spare time: on a fire crew, in property management, running small businesses and leading a sales team. I know what it costs someone to lose half a day to paperwork.
What I'll push for
- Clear online instructions for every service, written in plain language, so you know exactly what to bring before you come in.
- More of the process online wherever the law allows, so you can start or finish things from home.
- Easy-to-find records, so looking something up doesn't require knowing who to call.
- A real person when you need one. Going digital should add options, not remove the human help.
Why I care
When I managed housing, part of my job was helping residents find local programs that could help them with rent. I saw how much easier things got once someone knew exactly where to go and what to ask. Good information is a kind of help.
That's what I want the Clerk's Office to be: easy to reach, easy to understand and easy to use, for everyone.
If you have a story about a county process that was harder than it needed to be, leave a comment and tell me. I want to hear it.
The general election is November 3, 2026.
— Jon Curtis
Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app
Comments
Post a Comment