Third-Generation Bend Local: What Growing Up Here Gave Me

I'm a third-generation Bend local. My family has been part of Central Oregon for a long time, and I grew up here with eight brothers and sisters.

When you grow up in a family that big, you learn a few things fast. You learn to share. You learn to speak up. And you learn that everybody does better when everybody pitches in.

A place that shaped me

Central Oregon gave me a lot. It gave me the outdoors: hiking, camping, and long days outside. It gave me my first real calling, too. I trained through Job Corps and went to work as a wildland firefighter with the U.S. Forest Service, protecting the forests I grew up in. By my last season, I was leading PT and hikes on Engine 335.

Later, I worked in housing in Madras and Redmond. I handled repairs, moved new residents in, hosted weekly community events, and helped residents find local programs that might help with rent. I've also led a 15-person sales team and I run small businesses today.

Every one of those jobs was here, serving people in this region.

Now I get to share it

Today I'm a dad. Some of my favorite days are the simple ones: a hike, a campout, or a trip to the park with my family. Getting to show my own kid the places I grew up loving means more to me than I can say.

Why that matters for this race

I'm running for Deschutes County Clerk because I care about this county. It's my home, and it's been my family's home for three generations. The Clerk's Office runs our elections and keeps the records families rely on, like property documents and marriage licenses.

My priorities are simple: secure and transparent elections, easier digital access to public records and licensing, and clear, responsive communication with every resident.

I'd be proud to serve the place that raised me. The general election is November 3, 2026.

— Jon

Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Commercial Lending Taught Me About Serving the Public

Bend Ran License-Plate Cameras for Six Months Before Residents Got a Say

Nine Kids, One Family