Remembering Every Name

I try to remember the name of every person I meet.

It's a small habit, but I take it seriously. A while back, some people whose show I had been on months earlier decided to test me on it. They asked if I remembered being on their show. I did. They also remembered a day I was meeting a big group of new people: I shook everyone's hand, learned every person's name and used it, and they said I was very respectful.

That meant a lot to me, because it's exactly what I try to do. I try to be respectful at all times and be nice to everyone.

Why a name matters

Your name is the first thing that tells you someone actually sees you. When a person remembers it, you feel like you matter to them. When they don't bother, you feel like a number in a line.

A lot of people walk into a government office feeling like a number in a line. They're there for something important: a marriage license, a property record, a question about their ballot. They don't always know the process, and they're hoping someone will be patient with them.

What I'd bring to the Clerk's Office

One of my three priorities for Deschutes County Clerk is clear, responsive communication with every resident. For me, that starts with the basics: greet people, listen, learn their name, and treat them with respect, whoever they are and whatever they need.

It costs nothing, and it changes how people feel about their government.

The general election is November 3, 2026.

— Jon Curtis

Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Commercial Lending Taught Me About Serving the Public

Bend Ran License-Plate Cameras for Six Months Before Residents Got a Say

Nine Kids, One Family