If You Have to Ask Three People, the System Failed You
One of my three priorities for Deschutes County Clerk is clear, responsive communication with every resident. Here's what I mean by it, and what I'd do.
The problem
Most people deal with the Clerk's Office only a few times in their life: when they buy a home, get married, apply for a passport, appeal a property value or vote. That means almost everyone who contacts the office is new to the process.
When instructions are confusing, people end up calling more than once, making extra trips or giving up. That isn't the resident's fault. It's a communication problem, and it's fixable.
What I learned about explaining things
I've spent years explaining processes to people who were doing something for the first time.
In housing, I helped residents connect with local programs that could help them pay rent. A referral only helps if the person understands where to go, what to ask and what to bring. Getting that part right mattered as much as knowing the program existed.
Leading a sales team at Amtech, I trained people who had never done sales. I couldn't assume they knew anything, so I taught the whole process from the start. Clear, honest explanations made the difference.
What clear communication looks like in the Clerk's Office
- Plain-language instructions. Every service should have a short "what you need, what happens next, how long it takes" guide, online and at the counter.
- Answers that come back. If you call or email, you should hear back quickly, with a real answer.
- Open election information. Voters should be able to see, in plain language, how ballots are handled and counted. Transparency builds trust.
- Respect for every person. Nonpartisan, equal service for every resident, whoever they are and whatever they believe.
Why it matters
When people understand how their county works, they trust it more. That trust is especially important for elections. A Clerk's Office that explains itself clearly is one people can believe in.
That's the office I want to lead.
The general election is November 3, 2026.
— Jon Curtis
Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app
Comments
Post a Comment