Why I Ran Again: From City Council to County Clerk

In 2024, I ran for Bend City Council. I learned a lot, and I came out of it wanting to keep serving.

Running for office teaches you things you can't learn any other way. You meet people at their doors and at events. You hear what's on their minds. And you start to see which parts of local government people actually deal with day to day.

One thing I heard again and again: people want government to be clear. They want to know where to go, what to bring, and what happens next.

That's a big part of why I'm running for Deschutes County Clerk in 2026.

A different job

A City Council seat and the County Clerk's Office are very different. The Council sets city policy. The Clerk's Office is about running important public services well. In Deschutes County, the Clerk's Office:

  • Conducts elections
  • Records real-property documents
  • Maintains public records and archives
  • Issues marriage licenses
  • Processes passport applications
  • Supports the Property Value Appeals Board

These are services people rely on at important moments in their lives: buying a home, getting married, voting. They need to be accurate, secure and easy to understand.

What I bring

I'm a third-generation Bend local. I grew up here, and I've worked here in a lot of different ways. I trained through Job Corps and worked as a wildland firefighter, leading PT and hikes on Engine 335. I managed housing in Madras and Redmond, handling repairs, move-ins, community events and helping residents find assistance. I led a 15-person sales team, teaching people with no experience how to do the job. Today I run small businesses.

In each of those jobs, the work came down to two things: take care of the details, and explain things clearly to the people depending on you.

My priorities

From my statement in the voters' pamphlet:

  1. Secure and transparent elections
  2. Easier digital access to public records and licensing
  3. Clear, responsive communication with every resident

Why I kept going

That first campaign pointed me toward an office where I think my experience fits: one built on careful work and clear communication.

I'm asking for your vote on November 3, 2026. And whether or not you vote for me, I want to hear your questions about the Clerk's Office. Ask away.

— Jonathan Curtis

Learn more: jonathancurtis2026.netlify.app

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Commercial Lending Taught Me About Serving the Public

Bend Ran License-Plate Cameras for Six Months Before Residents Got a Say

The Responsibilities Behind a Property-Management Day